[pmwiki-users] The Challenge: Is there a simple, dependable PHP login script?

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 11:08:25 CDT 2011

Thursday, March 17, 2011, 1:09:54 PM, Al Louis Ripskis wrote:

> Not being a programmer, and having extremely limited PHP skills, I
> need a simple login at the bottom of my newly constructed PmWiki home page saying:
> “If you would like read and upload access to the rest of the wiki, please login here.”

I thought this should be a simple matter knowing the flexibility of
PmWiki's password system, but I failed to find an answer.
Maybe someone more knowledgable can tell me why the following
approach fails, which I thought is the intuitively cottect one:

Requirement: Have all pages locked against reading and editing,
except Main.HomePage, which should be open to be read, by protected
from editing.

My failed approach(es):
In config.php set a general 'admin' password,
plus a general 'edit' and 'read' password.
In page Main.Homepage?action=attr set the read password field to
@nopass

Why does this not work?

I tried  a more complicated variation, by setting in page
Main.GroupAttributes?action=attr  a password for read and edit,
and setting it the same as in config.php, all in addition
to what I done before.

This did not work either.

As soon as I log out on Main.HomePage, I am prompted for a password
to enter. So read=@nopass had no effect.

As to the login requirement; a login link on Main.homePage like this
should do:
[[{$FullName}?action=login| If you would like read and upload access
to the rest of the wiki, please login here]]
and perhaps putting it in a box and adding some color/bigger text to
make it more visible. But of course that does not help if the home
page stays read protected despite setting read=@nopass.

Can someone help with this please?

  ~Hans