[pmwiki-users] Should register first before can read material indexed in side bar

Al Louis Ripskis ripskis at sprynet.com
Mon Mar 14 14:44:33 CDT 2011

Guys,
For newcomers to my homepage who would like to access and read the material indexed in the left side bar, I would like them to register first, providing their user name and password. And I would like to authenticate their IP address if possible.
How do I do that?
When I put in config file this:

## require valid login before viewing pages
$DefaultPasswords['read'] = 'id:*';

they first get "Passbook required" notice, before they can even get to the home page.

At the bottom of the home page I would like to prompt them to register.
What code and where do I put it? Any authentication I could include?
I now have these related codes in my config.php:

##  Enable uploads and set a site-wide default upload password.
$EnableUpload = 1;
$DefaultPasswords['upload'] = array('id:*');

include_once("$FarmD/scripts/authuser.php");

$UploadPrefixFmt = '';

Thanks a lot,
Al