[pmwiki-users] vspace revisited

Paul Giacherio paulgiacherio at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:13:33 CDT 2011

Try applying or overriding this stylesheet to an unstyled page:
http://www.blueprintcss.org/blueprint/src/typography.css
It's from blueprint [http://www.blueprintcss.org/], but there are other base
stylesheets like YUI [http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/base/]

Styles injected into the head can foul things up, but I think applying a css
reset stylesheet provides a consistent starting point.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 3:25 AM, Oliver Betz <list_ob at gmx.net> wrote:

> Paul Giacherio wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >Personally I don't find the 'can of worms' that daunting. I feel there are
> >fair number of css reset and default stylesheets out there that do a great
> >job of styling standard tags. If you start there, what's left is a finite
> >number of block-level element combinations that need adjusting.
>
> Can yo give an example?
>
> I started a test case http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Vspace to
> demonstrate the current PmWiki behaviour and "interesting" situations.
>
> Most people simply put vertical margins on every text element. But I
> dislike this space between a table border and text.
>
> See the test case - the list items, the paragraph and the image should
> all be aligned IMO.
>
> Try other skins, e.g.
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Vspace?skin=monobook - list items are
> misaligned.
>
> Try a skin avoiding PmWiki's vspace handling (is there any on
> PmWiki.org?) and it gets more complicated.
>
> Nevertheless the tons of class='vspace' are not exactly beautiful.
>
> I talked to several very experienced web designers about using PmWiki
> as a CMS, and most of them strongly disliked the lots of CSS
> statements in the markup and the vspace handling.
>
> Oliver

Paul Giacherio
http://paulgiacherio.com