[pmwiki-users] Conditional external redirect

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Fri Dec 16 04:36:37 CST 2011

> Peter:
> Don't do it in markup at all but in config.php create your
> appropriate conditional statement and then issue the header() call
> directly.  That also avoids the hassle of having to edit 30 pages...

> Jiri
> And what about to put the conditional redirection to Site.PageHeader.
> Would it work?

Such general redirects would probably be very good ideas.
I do not know how to write php myself, but placing a general
conditional redirect (based on edit rights) on config.php page is
supposed to be a quick and safe solution.
Also, Jiri's idea to place a standard wiki (:redirect:) markup [cured
with Eemeli's recipe [1] to allow external urls] is perhaps even
better in that it does not require me to find out how to write php
conditional redirects.

Yet, both ideas would not probably fit the case because, while
reworking my wiki, I will need to browse the new pages I will create
both as a logged-in and as a logged-out user. Which, if a general
redirect based on login is set up, will not be possible. Here is why I
preferred to be selective and just redirect a small bunch of chosen
pages.

As for the "moved permanently" page redirects after the wiki
rebuilding, I evolved thinking that a small list of "Redirect 301" in
.htaccess will probably be the best way, allowing also to delete old,
unused pages and keep things clean.

Luigi

[1] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RedirectIntermap