[pmwiki-users] Category Links

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Sun May 30 14:49:24 CDT 2010

On 5/30/2010 3:34 PM, Peter Bowers wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM, DaveG<pmwiki at solidgone.com>  wrote:
>> Is there a way to include a category link on a page, and have that link
>> display any title markup that might be on the category page?
>>
>> So: [[!MyCategory]]
>>
>> With Category.MyCategory containing:
>>   (:title override:)
>>
>> And the link should display: override
>>
>> Refer to this page, where the category link does not display the override
>> title: Test/CategoryTitles-Draft
>>
>> I could do something below, but that doesn't create a category link:
>>   [[Category.MyCategory | +]]
>
> I believe that Petko's solution to Pits:00447 made [[!MyCategory | +]]
> work, but unfortunately there was never a clear consensus on the
> pagelist markup and so the fix was never released.
Ah. So now the problem is that I could use the [[!MyCategory | +]]
format, but the link is displayed with the "page doesn't exist" style
link formatting, and as far as I can see there is no way to selectively
apply this to certain links on a page, so that category links have the
"page exists" styles, and other links are handled with normal processing.

> BTW, what do you mean when you say [[Category.MyCategory | +]] doesn't
> create a "category link"?  I know there was discussion about
> differentiating between [[Category.MyCategory]] and [[!MyCategory]]
> (see same PITS entry) but my understanding was that no actual changes
> occurred and those 2 markups are functionally interchangeable as
> things stand...
I based this statement only on the fact that one form displays with the
"page doesn't exist" style link formatting, and the other displays with
"the page exists" style formatting.

As you say, they both get treated the same in terms of being displayed
on a (:pagelist link=...:) markup.

  ~ ~ Dave