[pmwiki-users] RFC: Indexing categories and links

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Mon Mar 8 01:13:18 CST 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Oliver Betz <list_ob at gmx.net> wrote:
> My suggestion has a severe drawback:
>
>>Indeed separating category membership _creation_ and _listing_ is
>>desirable, but as far as I see, it can be already done with PmWiki
>>means - simply use _two_ pages:
>>
>>* One "linking" page - linking to this page creates category
>>membership. It doesn't need to exist!
>>* A "listing" page containing the page list.
>
> but then, the [[!foo]] links don't point to a reasonable target.

Can't we just set up CategoryLink.GroupHeader just like we set up
Category.GroupHeader?  I'm not sure how you make the nonexistent page
acceptable (or is it automatically created in Category group?) but
presumably whatever was done for Category group can also be done for
the CategoryLink group...  If you want the 2 pages to be identical
then just use

   (:include Category.GroupHeader:)

in the CategoryLink.GroupHeader, right?  (Or footer, as the case may
be.)  And that leaves the flexibility that if a given site wants a
category membership link to go to a different view as compared to a
category reference link then they can set it up there rather than
using the include...

It takes a little more setup (thus the need for a recipe, albeit
probably entirely configuration documentation rather than code) but I
still think it's a very reasonable solution to the problem of wanting
to differentiate reference links vs membership links in categories.

-Peter