[pmwiki-users] RFC: Indexing categories and links

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Sun Mar 7 11:05:35 CST 2010

Peter Bowers wrote:

>> So one could simply change $CategoryGroup e.g. to CategoryLinks and
>> adapt the page lists to use this group. The group named "Category" can
>> be used to hold the category descriptions and page lists (also from
>> the GroupFooter).
>
>So if I want to refer to the category but not join it I put a link to
>[[Category/Mycat]].  And if I want this page to join the category then
>I use the [[!Mycat]] but instead of referring to [[Category/Mycat]] it
>internally refers to [[CategoryLinks/Mycat]]...
>
>It takes a bit of change in thought-processes because I've gotten used
>to thinking of the 2 as a link to the same page, but this does solve
>the problem and (I believe) could be very easily implemented as a
>cookbook with no change to core.  That satisfies people who are

That's the intention. As far as I see, you only need to change
$CategoryGroup and the page lists. Even more elegant would be to make
$CategoryGroup available as page variable:

 $FmtPV['$CategoryGroup'] = '$GLOBALS["CategoryGroup"]';

and define the page lists using link={$CategoryGroup}.whatever.

>content with the current ambiguity while those who want to
>differentiate more precisely are given the possibility of simply
>installing a new recipe...
>
>At first response was I didn't like it at all, but the more I read
>through it the more I think it solves the problem very elegantly.
>
>The only difficulty that I see with this solution is if someone wants
>to list *all* references to this category, whether reference (group:
>Category) or membership (group: CategoryLinks -- using !).  Since
>pagelists don't currently allow for
>    (:pagelist link=CategoryLinks.Mycat,Category.Mycat:)
>we would lose that capability.  However, presumably that's a temporary
>limitation?  [He said, hopefully... :-) ]

If someone wants to differentiate, he should also use two separate
page lists.

Oliver