[pmwiki-users] RFC: Indexing categories and links (suspended)

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Mar 5 15:06:45 CST 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010 10:03:12, Peter Bowers wrote :
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:
> > I now see a problem of which I haven't thought before -- with other
> > parameters like name=!Name or group=!Name the "!" means "NOT Name" so
> > link=!Name may be confusing and a bad idea. :-(
> > Especially if at some point we change the link= parameter to accept
> > multiple page names like link=Page1,Page2,-Group3.* . Hmm...
>
> What if we went with something like this:
>    link=^!^mycat
> -or-
>    link=(!)mycat
> -or-
>    link=\!mycat       // kind of like escaping the !...?  [1]

This is exactly the thing I'd like to avoid -- if there is an inconsistent and
un-intuitive implementation for a new feature request, we add more complex and
un-intuitive markup to fix its problems. :-)

I feel that I was wrong about this -- I don't want to add a feature without
enough thinking, and regret it later when it could prevent us to do a more
important change. When I see that I'm wrong I change.:-) Good thing that it
wasn't released.

While there are users from the community who want this feature, I'm not sure
we have a consensus, ot even a majority. The implementation requires
substantial changes to the core and I feel that what we have now is not really
a good, globally logical solution. Also, a couple of bugs need to be fixed and
released asap.

For these reasons, I'll suspend the feature request (PITS:00447) until we find
a better way to deal with it.

Thanks,
Petko