[pmwiki-users] How to force-update the pageindex

Randy Brown alongkiss at aprivatespot.com
Wed Aug 11 23:20:07 CDT 2010

Thanks for your quick response, DaveG. Unfortunately, I'm as baffled as ever.

I can understand if, as you suggest, the page index sometimes contains incomplete optimization information and as a result pagelists run slower. I can't understand, however, why pagelist would ever give incorrect results.

If the correctness of pagelist results depends on the pageindex being up to date, then there needs to be a way to rebuild the page index and to guarantee that it is ultimately complete. If that's not feasible, then a warning needs to be placed next to the suggestions that you can change the $CategoryGroup, advising admins that they will destroy the accuracy of their pagelists in their existing wikis if they do so.

More importantly, if page indexing is never guaranteed to be up to date, and the correctness of results suffers whenever it isn't, then that needs to be stated in the documentation, so wikis where accurate results matter don't attempt to use page indexing.

I'm not sure what's going on with my wiki, but if I set "$EnablePageIndex = 0;" my results and the speed of pagelists doesn't change at all. No .pageindex file is created, however. I would have expected pagelists to run significantly slower and to start giving correct results again.

Randy