[pmwiki-users] Fox to create and edit pages

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Thu May 21 16:24:13 CDT 2009

Thursday, May 21, 2009, 9:15:39 PM, Vince Admin Account wrote:

> Fox does a very nice job of creating pages from lots of variables in a
> form.  So now I have a form which uses serialname to create a bunch of
> unique pages, with
> data filled in.  But now I would like to add a form to edit the page.
> The form should really just edit the values that the original form
> stuffed into the page.

If they are posted as PTVs it should be no problem.

> So if I  understand FoxEdit correctly, I have
> really two choices.
> The first is to adapt the original form so that instead of creating a
> new page, it allows editing the (several ) ptv's that make up the real
> content. And this could be done by adding the foxedit button to the
> page template.

The form could do both:
Be used to create a new page and to edit a page.
An example using this approach you may like to study is
FoxContacts:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FoxContacts

> The other option would be to create individual edit buttons for each
> variable.  This may or may not be hard to do. For example, if the
> original form contained a select drop down box to set the value of a
> variable, can the set of selections be maintained?

I think that a drop down select input control can
be shown with a PTV value as selected.

> And a wild thought. Is the following possible:   In the page creation
> form there is a textarea input called "solution".   So on the page
> template  we have something like
> Solution: {$$solution}
> Can I modify the template to that the word Solution is a link to the
> form that edits its value?

No, since a link would not just be  a word with a following colon,
appearing at the start of  a line, and so would not be recognised as
a PTV. You need to add a seperate foxedit link for this.

hope this helps!

  ~Hans