[pmwiki-users] Problems with ProtectEmail

Simon nzskiwi at gmail.com
Wed May 6 05:00:49 CDT 2009

Last year I commented on this list that I found ProtectEmail satisfactory,  but
complaints from some of my users with email addresses on my
website receiving spam made me investigate further.

First I found an improved version by Damien from 2008 that improves the
hiding algorithm
(http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ProtectEmail#version2008)

I thought I would test it on the various typical mailto: links found on my
wikis
(http://kiwiwiki.co.nz/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Test/ProtectEmail)
using the link suggested by Damien.
(http://aspirine.org/cgi-bin/trouvemail.pl?lang=en<http://aspirine.org/cgi-bin/trouvemail.pl?lang=en&url=http://kiwiwiki.co.nz/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Test/ProtectEmail&mode=malin>
)

I was very distressed to find that of my nine examples only two were picked
up the regex expression that locates mailto: expressions,
and it was not the simple ones I expected. (To do this view the source of
the page)

I will try to look at the regex, but I'm a novice.

This is just a general warning that if you are using this recipe it is
likely, based on my experience,
that your email addresses are exposed to the world.

Simon