[pmwiki-users] AuthUser vs UserAuth2 vs ...

Vince Admin Account vadmin at math.uconn.edu
Thu Mar 19 14:57:37 CDT 2009

On Mar 19, 2009, at 2:53 PM, pmwiki at 911networks.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here we go again with the authorizations, sign-in... I'm asking
> because I still don't understand the differences/benefits.
>
> I don't currently have a back-end. I want to:
> A: Work at the group level and not at the user level
> B: Restrict a few pages to 1 group only.
> C: Show and do not show some admin sections based on the group.
>
> What I need is:
> 1. Only 4 groups
> 2. People self register, name-email...
> 3. An administrator approves and place them in the appropriate group
> 4. In the body, I want to use: "(:if auth" does not belong to group
> and/or "(:if auth = 'anonymous' " then show/do not show some
> sections...
>
> All suggestions welcomed.
One of my sites does exactly this. I use AuthUser.  I don't know
anything about UserAuth2.
For self register I use htaccessform
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/HtpasswdForm.
After the user is registered, I update the htgroups file, to place the
user in the appropriate login group.

There is a confusion between group (as in group of users,   so call it
login group) and group (as in group of pages).

Then I use the GroupAttributes page of of the appropriate PmWiki
groups to allow access to the various login groups.
We really need better terminology.

       Vince