[pmwiki-users] Proposal: a default bundle for PmWiki

Eemeli Aro eemeli at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 17:20:31 CDT 2009

This is in part a continuation of the discussion started in the thread
"How to submit patches to PmWiki?", but I changed the title as this is
veering rather far from where that thread started.

To start from the more radical end of things, I've actually been
pondering doing a fork of PmWiki. I very much doubt I'll ever get
around to it, but I do think there's a need for a more feature-rich
distribution of PmWiki.

As it is now, PmWiki is an incredibly simple, yet powerful system. For
configurability, this is excellent. However, there's the problem:
after the really easy install, there's the really easy install and
configuration of the 15 cookbook recipes that you also need.

This isn't actually a big problem for a power user (as I guess quite a
few of us on this list are...), it's a problem for the beginner who
wants those features and needs to find them before installing them. I
believe a community-nominated bundle of pre-configured recipes would
help significantly in PmWiki adoption.

Sidenote: This is actually the fourth version of this email that I'm
writing, as I've realised while writing this that in order to get
something done I'll need to stick out my own neck here.

So, to get started I've just created
<http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Bundle> that for now is a partial
list of recipes that I think ought to be included. Please add your own
suggestions, comments and criticisms as appropriate. Also if you
really want to help, feel free to add yourself as a maintainer for the
page.

I don't really know where this'll end up, but I figure we'll best see
what happens by just doing it.

eemeli