[pmwiki-users] Skin File Search Order

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Fri Jun 26 03:32:40 CDT 2009

Thursday, June 25, 2009, 3:40:05 PM, DaveG wrote:

> Correct. However if it's last, we have this search order:
>   {$Group}.SideBar {$Site}.SideBar {$Site}.{$SkinName}-SideBar

> So in this case, since Site.SideBar exists by default, the user will
> never see the skin SideBar, and thus will not get the skin advertised on
> the box. In theory they will visibly see something doesn't looks right,
> so it's kind of a pointer, and they will have to modify their own
> SideBar in any case.

Dave, I am having dificulty understanding your approach.
Why would a skin want its own SideBar subpage for instance?
To me a skin determines the layout and appearance, but not
content. Layout is determined by the skin template, and apearance
chiefly by css.

Exceptions may be that a skin may also provide some functional
additions, like a search form in the sidebar, action buttons at other
places etc. The skin template and php file can take care that
such is added without the user having to edit standard PmWiki
subpages like SideBar.

So what does a  {$Site}.{$SkinName}-SideBar achieve which cannot
be done by template and css file?

  ~Hans