[pmwiki-users] OT: Google Wave -- the new wiki (and everything else)

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Mon Jun 1 16:05:52 CDT 2009

On 09-06-01 at 22.01, Radu Luchian <radu at monicsoft.net> wrote:

>Of course, it didn't help that the wave presentation was painfully
>drawn out with 'clap-for-me-I'm-so-cool' and
>'watch-out-here-comes-the-bug' interludes. Luckily, that team is
>better at design and programming than making presentations.

Can't be difficult :D

>The wave is much less of a mess than email. You get ONE copy, ONE
>coherent message. Anyone can edit out uninteresting parts. Or change
>any part of the message. Or collapse (hide/show) a (set of)
>sub-wave(s). I haven't seen this level of low change granularity ever
>since *nix's talk and its n and y branches. It's like real chatting,
>where (if you don't want to), you don't have to wait for the other
>people to write an epic story and press Enter before you can see where
>s/he's going. And unlike real chats, you don't have to interrupt the
>speaker in order to make your own point. It's like a wiki cured of
>markupitis, in which people can actually work on the same page at the
>same time - without locking files and having to figure out how to

This is one of the things I'm a bit skeptic about, I'm not sure
that this is a desirable way to work ... at the moment I don't
see the necessity to being able to edit documents concurrently
(I do see the the necessity for collaborate editing but not
real-time editing). I also wonder about the one copy concept and
if it's a good thing. There are a lot of things I'm curious
about (and skeptic about).

 From what I've seen so far I don't buy the "This is the thing
that is going to save the world, create world peace, erase world
hunger and let us get into contact with intelligent life on
other planets"-hype that can been seen all over the web at the
moment. Perhaps it's a good useful tool, perhaps I'm too old to
appreciate the new model ... but time will tell.

                     jem
--
Jan Erik Moström, http://mostrom.eu