[pmwiki-users] need expert review - multilanguage recipe change

SteP step.list+pmwiki at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 15:51:30 CDT 2009

Hans wrote:
> I will publish a modified version of ViewModes, basically adding
> a (:title-xx yyy:) markup, which stores language titles as page
> attributes, and a swither/seelctor markup to show links for switching
> the user language.

I was not aware of ViewModes.
It's hard for me to say if an extended ViewModes could replace multilanguage for my wikis. I'm inclined to
think not, because in the past I had to work around several subtle multilanguage-related issues, so I
suspect ViewModes will carry some (new) subtleties, too.
To make multilanguage really work for my wikis I had to patch it twice, add a PV, set cookies in my
config.php in conjunction with XLPages, and other tricks that I forgot.
Lots of my wiki pages use the multilanguage markup and PV, I'm afraid that changing them at this stage
would be too much work, especially since they work.

For new pages, I could test ViewModes, but its markup would need to cohexist with multilanguage.

I agree with you that the multilanguage code looks complicated, that's why I asked for an expert review, I
felt I really don't understand why it does some things in a particular way.