[pmwiki-users] Improving PITS

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Jul 8 12:40:05 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 05:38:14PM +0200, Petko Yotov wrote:
> I've been doing some cleanup in PITS this week to make it easier for us to
> overview, prioritize and deal with issue reports and feature requests. Please
> compare the two versions :
>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/PITS-old - this was PITS yesterday
>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/PITS     - this  is PITS now

> The major changes are:
> * added a Searchbox tuned for pages in the PITS group
> * simple definition lists instead of one huge table
> * use of styles/colors to better contrast what's important
Oh yes, that looks *much* better.
> * new compact priority averages  (for 4+ votes)
Good stuff.
> * fewer data (no need for "Version"; "Created" and "full priority list" appear
>   in tooltip titles)
> * default order/sort by category (bugs first) then by priority averages
> * no column sorting, we'll deal with all bugs/requests as they come
No sorting? 8-(

> * Inactive discussions (no edits for 180+ days) are automatically labeled and
>   moved to a sub-page, instead of cluttering the main page.

> I was thinking, we could add a form at the bottom of every PITS entry to make
> it easier to post a new comment, but I realised that if it is too easy to
> post, we'll have to deal with a lot of spam (like we had to, in the PmForm
> website). So, for now, we can keep it to simple wiki pages.
Captcha?

> Now, all this can and should be further improved. So, please share your ideas,
> comments, questions etc.
It's a pity that new comments on a PITS entry can't be posted to one of
the mailing lists (probably pmwiki-devel); that could trigger more
timely discussion.  On the other hand, that would also mean that there
would be discussion that wasn't actually linked with the PITS entry,
which means that information would be lost.
Hmmmm.

Kathryn Andersen