[pmwiki-users] Server Upgrade Help

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Tue Jul 7 17:28:17 CDT 2009

DaveG wrote:
> My server host decided to move my domains to a new server. So now my
> pmwiki setup no longer works. There are two types of error I now get:
>
> http://mr2wiki.com/Main/HomePage

> and:
> http://solidgone.org/
> Warning: fopen(wiki.d/SiteAdmin.Status,new) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/nepherim/apps/pmwiki-2.2.1/pmwiki.php on line 930
> PmWiki can't process your request
>
> Cannot write page to SiteAdmin.Status (wiki.d/SiteAdmin.Status)...changes not saved
>

> As some background, permissions are set up like this on the old and new servers (works on old, not the new):
> wiki.d directory is 0755
> SiteAdmin.Status is 0664
>
> *
> *Is anyone aware of a server level configuration that might be causing these errors?

In the event that anyone else has this issue, the problem seems to be
that the old server ran PHP under my username (as a FastCGI process) --
so any files that got created are owned by my used. The new server runs
PHP as an Apache module, and so new files are created and owned by
"nobody".

Unfortunately the host admins decided that the 'solution' to this was to
globally set permissions on ALL file to world write 777 -- including
.htaccess, and all PmWiki application files. So my nice secure account
isn't so much any more.

Now I just need to get them to revert back to the old setup, and I'll
manually change permissions on the files that need write access.

  ~ ~ Dave