[pmwiki-users] CleanURLs problem in apache 2.2

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Jul 3 06:52:12 CDT 2009

On Friday 03 July 2009 09:21:27 Julius Thijssen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:36, JBT<jultus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been trying to get a cleanurl going for hours now,
> > read loads of info available about cleanurls, but none
> > seem to work or apply, so I end up asking here.
> >
> > Is there anyone out there using cleanurls on apache2.2
> > with a debian (or derivative) apache config setup ?
>
> Still not working.
> Anyone using apache2 and debian (or debian-based) server-OS using
> clean-URLs ?

Hi. Here is what I use successfully for Apache2 on Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo
for a number of wikis, for a few years now.

1. My pmwiki installations are in the document root directory of the server
   (typically htdocs or www) and not in a subdirectory like /pm or /pmwiki.

2. I also have an "index.php" file in the root, containing this unique line:

   <?php include("pmwiki.php");

   Note, there are no spaces before <?php

3. The root .htaccess file (or httpd.conf) contains this:

   RewriteEngine On
   RewriteBase /
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f # IF the requested thing is not a file
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d # NOR a directory
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l # NOR a symbolic link

   # AND looks like a wiki page name, THEN send to pmwiki
   RewriteRule ^([A-Z0-9\x80-\xFF].*)$ /index.php?n=$1  [QSA,L]

4. The file local/config.php contains the following, among other code:

  $EnablePathInfo = 1;
  $ScriptUrl = $UrlScheme.'://'. strtolower($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);

5. Then, I have really short URLs like
   http://5ko.fr/A/Lesnovo     for a wiki page [[A.Lesnovo]]
   http://tl.5ko.fr/M/AdvancedUsers for a page [[M.AdvancedUsers]]
   http://notamment.fr/N/ExCC  for a wiki page [[N.ExCC]]

   Obviously, I also prefer the shortest practical Domain, Group and Page
   names. :-)

Thanks,
Petko