[pmwiki-users] Rating cookbooks

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Jan 25 19:15:50 CST 2009

On Saturday, 24 January 2009 10:25 AM, The Editor <editor at fast.st> wrote:
>For what it's worth, I think a person should be able to go back and
>change their level of support as needed. Suppose someone tries a
>recipe and for some reason it doesn't work. So they give it a bad
>rating, appropriately. Then the developer figures out where the bug is
>and fixes it. Now everything works beautifully. They should be able to
>turn their support from a 1 to a 5 (or reword their comment). Probably
>a lot of recipe's start out ok, but get better as fixes and
>enhancements are added. The ratings could be misleading if half the
>ratings are from an earlier defective version.
>
>No easy solution, but something to think about.

I agree and take this argument further. It's hard to imagine that
anybody intentionally releases a poor quality recipe. Some, such as
complex skins, take a lot of feedback to get right. So if somebody
signs up as a friend/supporter/endorser of a recipe, and gives it
a low rating, then that person has an obligation/duty to the recipe
maintainer(s) to review the rating from time to time. One could go
so far as to say that if one gives a bad rating, one ought also to
give the maintainers feedback so it can be improved. In my case,
rather than give a recipe a bad rating, I would contact the
maintainers and ask about the problem. Giving it a bad rating
doesn't help make it better.

>Cheers,
>Dan

JR