[pmwiki-users] Self registration

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Thu Jan 22 14:24:12 CST 2009

"Patrick R. Michaud" wrote:

[...]

>> Is there an advantage to putting the authentification & user-info type of
>> data in the profile page?  I don't think I've seen an argument on that side
>> yet although I may have missed it...
>
>(1)  having all of the information on the SiteAdmin.AuthUser page can
>     make it very cluttered for an admin to view/modify; putting
>     info in profile page (with pagelist commands for displaying
>     summary) keeps SiteAdmin.AuthUser itself clean
>(2)  a small mistake in SiteAdmin.AuthUser can suddenly wipe out lots
>     of accounts

both true - if it's a wiki page it's subject to operator errors.

If the information is kept in special files (e.g. .htpasswd/.htgroup
already supported by PmWiki) and managed similar to the HtpasswdForm
recipe, the access can be restricted / controlled very well.

>(3)  it's far quicker to grab authentication information from a
>     profile page than it is to parse and process the SiteAdmin.AuthUser
>     page, especially if there are large numbers of accounts

Isn't that required only for logon and verification by e-mail?

Oliver