[pmwiki-users] Documentation of Recipes (was: Pre-announcing 2.2.0...)

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Wed Jan 21 04:37:01 CST 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 09:50:23 Christian Ridderström wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Petko Yotov wrote:
> >> - include a page called Wikipublisher.Wikipublisher in the package's
> >>   wikilib.d/
> >
> > I dislike multiple wikilib.d/ directories added by recipes, for these
> > reasons:
> > * Wikis using (good) custom PageStore solutions, may literally
> > be broken if a (badly written) recipe replaces the existing WikiLibs
> > array with something it considers universal.
> > * In case the recipe is enabled for some groups or pages only, the docs
> > will magically disappear (unless they are in the same groups or pages).
> >
> > I have a preference for adding the docs in the standard wikilib.d
> > directory and not forcing a new one for two reasons:
> > * it is simpler;
>
> I prefer having a separate wikilib.d/ because it allows me to better use a
> version control system (VCS). It's typically possible to have several
> subdirectories belonging to different repositories, but it doesn't work
> having files from diffrerent repositories in a single wikilib.d/.

It should not be hard for the script which creates the YourRecipe.zip archive,
to copy the pages from your different directories in the single wikilib.d,
prior to compressing the recipe.

> > * PmWiki runs slightly faster (considerably faster if 12 recipes add 12
> > custom wikilib directories).
>
> As for PmWiki running slightly faster without many wikilib.d/, have you
> done any benchmarking?  And if there is a significant difference

In principle, opening+scanning+closing is faster with one directory than with
many. In practice, the "scanning" part is variable, and in directories with
few files it is fast. So there may not be a huge difference, but knowing I
don't do it the optimal way is painful to me. :-)

Thanks,
Petko