[pmwiki-users] Self registration

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Wed Jan 21 00:58:23 CST 2009

> (2)  it's not clear where this additional information should be
>      stored -- in the SiteAdmin.AuthUser page directly or in
>      individual user profile pages

I'm probably missing something based on my inexperience in only managing a
couple wiki sites as opposed to the dozens many of the rest of you manage,
but where would the advantage be to keeping the additional information in a
user profile page?  You certainly don't want people to be able to update
their unprotected profile and change their email without it being confirmed
in some way if it's part of the official identity, right?  And most people
wouldn't want their email to be published cleartext on a web-page...
Passwords would be even more sensitive.  We could create a new set of user
profile pages that would be both read- and edit-protected, but that seems
overly complicated and prone to problems as compared to simply adding
another field or 4 to AuthUser...

Like I said, I'm probably just not grasping the big picture, but for me it
seems very clear that putting it in SiteAdmin.AuthUser is the preferred
solution.

-Peter