[pmwiki-users] Self registration

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 16:11:27 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:00:07PM +0100, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> > If you want *my* strictly personal idea of a
> > "preferred setup", then my answer is going to be that I don't want
> > user-based authentication on any of the sites I run.  That
> > approach has worked _extremely_ well for me for all of the sites
> > I manage, and it's what PmWiki supports "out of the box".  :-)
>
> Which is fine, Patrick.
> Agreed.
> But then think of *this* very mailing list (could be a pmwiki-based
> forum, instead): there are *many* cases in which a "personal"
> authentication is required.

It's not my intent to say that sites should not be
using user-based authentication.  Nor has that ever been my
intent (if I truly felt that way, there wouldn't be an AuthUser).

The post to which I was responding said:

   "What I would like is that you (meaning PM or the
   "higher-ups" or the "knowledgeable ones") decide that:
   1. This is our preferred way.

and since I was being directly asked for a decision, I was
simply noting that *my* preferred way for sites that I run
is no user-based authentication at all.  I'm not saying
that should be the preferred way for other sites; indeed, my
point all along in this discussion is that there is *not*
"one preferred way", or if there is, it hasn't been
clearly articulated by the community yet.