[pmwiki-users] line break keeping page store (repost)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 12:30:50 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 06:33:48PM +0100, Oliver Betz wrote:
> "Patrick R. Michaud" wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 04:25:40PM +0100, Oliver Betz wrote:
> >> Therefore I suggest an additional/alternative PageStore format where
> >> line breaks in the page text are kept unencoded.
> >
> >This can be most usefully done (or prototyped) as a recipe.
> >There's no reason it has to go into the core, nor should it
> >need core support.
> [...]
> And since it is a vital component, it had to be maintained together
> with PmWiki. Maybe I could run PmWiki without some fancy skin if it is
> incompatible with a new release, but it wouldn't be very satisfying
> without a working page store.

1.  The PageStore interface hasn't changed in a very long time.
Indeed, that's why it exists the way it does.

2.  If a new release ends up being incompatible, there's always the
option of not upgrading until the page store can be upgraded.

In short, it sounds as though you're asking *me* to do the work
(write the code, maintain it for all future versions) that you're
unwilling/unable to do.   :-) :-)    Until there's a very large
set of people who agree that this is critically important to the
core, it's better left as a recipe.