[pmwiki-users] User rating of cookbook recipes

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 10:04:37 CST 2009

Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 2:46:09 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> (1)  I'd like to see parts of the existing StarRater cookbook
> redesigned before it's in widespread use on pmwiki.org .

Could you please give me some hints as to what is lacking in your
opinion? Perhaps I or someone else can improve the script
(independent from its use or not-use in the cookbook).
Could the recipe be enabled on its cookbook page?

> (2)  In the past, discussions of adding a rating system to
> the Cookbook have often promoted lots of (passionate) discussion
> about how a single rating value isn't useful.  I personally disagree
> with this, but until I feel as though there's some consensus on that
> issue, I'd prefer not to do anything.

Fair enough.

I think it would be good to see which recipes are most popular, like
a top 30 list perhaps.

Rating is just one mechanism for this, another may be to show download
numbers, for recipes one needs to download. But this leaves out the
ones which are not for downloading.

Ratings by a select group of evaluators may be useful, but who will
be included?

A rating which shows each rater by her/his pmwiki user name besides
the rated value chosen may be more transparent, but I think it is
cumbersome and leads to long lists with dubious value.

  ~Hans