[pmwiki-users] line break keeping page store (repost)

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Tue Jan 20 09:25:40 CST 2009

Hello All,

since this topic has been discussed already 2007 and 2008, and I had
the impression that the idea wasn't considered generally bad, I made a
PITS entry (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/01063) now. Here the text
for reference and discussion:

- snip -
With the current "page text in one line" page store format, it is hard
to compare page data files visually and merge differences between
them.

Compare/merge of page data files can be very useful after PmWiki
updates to track changes in wikilib.d and merge them with local
customizations. The same applies for maintaining similar content in
multiple wikis.

There are great visual diff tools like KDiff3, Meld, Beyond Compare,
WinMerge, CSDiff..., but without linebreaks, they are much less
useful.

Therefore I suggest an additional/alternative PageStore format where
line breaks in the page text are kept unencoded.

Maybe something similar to multipart MIME is suitable. Metadata in the
headers, markup in the message parts. PhpWiki uses such a format at
least for export/import.
- snip -

Oliver