[pmwiki-users] preformatted text fixed width

Maria McKinley parody at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 20 01:48:45 CST 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM, DaveG <pmwiki at solidgone.com> wrote:
> The main issue is that code tags are defined as:
> code.escaped {
>  white-space:nowrap;
> }
>
> What this means is that the line will be as long as necessary to fit the
> entire text, without wrapping. The side effect of this is that now the
> entire .rightColumn is the same width as the 'code', so even setting lesser
> widths on other elements won't change the rightColumn width.
>
> Normally the solution is to add "overflow: auto", to add a scrollbar to the
> non-wrapped lines. In this case that doesn't work, and I didn't have time to
> work out why. (Strangely adding "overflow: auto; white-space: nowrap" to
> .vspace does force the scrollbar -- although it has the significant unwanted
> effect of putting a scrollbar on every .vspace paragraph :) ) I *suspect*
> this has something to do with using tables -- but I have no evidence for
> that other than inexperience with tables.
>
> pre tags seem to work fine, so one thing you might try is defining code to
> be the same as pre, on line 137 of rounded.css:
>   pre, code {
>
> btw, adding a width to wikitext rather than rightColumn forces the
> rightColumn width.

>  ~ ~ Dave

Thanks Dave. I see what you mean now about there being a long line of
code that is forcing all of the code blocks to be a certain size, and
how it would be ideal if there were just a scrollbar for that line. I
guess then the rest would just be as big as they needed to be for that
particular block, or more probably go to the wraparound point.
Unfortunately, your solution did not fix this for me. Actually, I only
tried it partway. I added code to pre, but I had to use rightColumn
for the width, because I did not see a .wikitext. But doing these two
things seemed to have no affect. Is .wikitext being missing maybe part
of the problem? I am using the most recent rounded, so not sure why
this would be, unless .wikitext is suppose to be somewhere besides
rounded.css.

thanks,
maria