[pmwiki-users] Any hope for 2.2.0 stable release?

Christian Bartolomaeus bartolin at gmx.de
Fri Jan 16 02:08:56 CST 2009

I have a small remark to Oliver's post, but first I want to say that
I was plesantly surprised when I read your thoughts about the future
of PmWiki -- and Pm's announcment of PmWiki 2.2.0. Reading all those
posts in this thread reassured me about the viability of PmWiki and
its community.

* On 2009-01-15 Oliver Betz (list_ob at gmx.net) wrote:

> >PmWiki is most certainly a laggard by now. The current version has been
> >in beta for far too long (for well justified personal reasons as we
> >know), while the rest of the world is not standing still. See for
>
> IMO it's also very disappointing that not even user contributions are
> made available. Christian Bartolomäus and Stefan Wüst improved the
> German translation a lot (and I added a little), and it's still not
> available as download although PM has been asked repeatedly for it.

Indeed I asked (twice IIRC) for an update of the German documentation.
But as it was pretty obvious that Pm had a turbulent year 2008 I (or
someone else from the community) could have been more insisting.
Actually I thought about packaging the German documentation pages for
myself -- and sending them to Pm or putting them somewhere on
pmwiki.org. If I'm not mistaken, it would be not to difficult to do
the following (via a small script):

1. Get a list of the pages in group PmWikiDe (with a fitting pagelist
   or search)

2. Parse the result and read the source of the relevant pages with
   wget (or something like that) and ?action=source

3. Create responding files according to

     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageFileFormat

4. Bundle those files and send them to Pm or upload them at pmwiki.org

Maybe this could be an idea for the future? I guess neither Pm nor
Petko will know about the status of documentation in various
languages. If there are persons or groups of persons who work on some
languages, they could decide when its time to update the relevant
i18n-archives, run the mentioned script (yet to be written) and send
the resulting archive file to Petko.

Best regards

Christian