[pmwiki-users] Any hope for 2.2.0 stable release?

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Wed Jan 14 22:19:07 CST 2009

Henrik Bechmann wrote:
> But I believe the next step is to stop supporting PHP4, by which I mean,
> transition more to the OOP features of the language, eventually exclusively.
Pm has frequently expressed the opinion that OO is not likely to be in
PmWiki's future. [1]

> You ask if there is a problem that you cannot see that requires
> migration to OOP. Have you tried to follow the PmWiki code? With the
> greatest respect for Patrick, it falls into all the traps available to
> structured programming,
I agree, the code is hard to follow, particularly for those new to PHP,
so added clarity would be nice. However, I don't see that a move to OO
specifically would do that. Clarity can be added in a non-OO fashion as
well.

> Another benefit of a re-write, not to be dismissed, is that it is an
A re-write is a large under-taking. Whilst I agree it would be good to
move PmWiki forward, I don't think a rewrite is where we should go first.

> Support for customizable, configurable
> form based entry would IMO radically expand the potential user base of
> PmWiki, and owing to the very work that you reference, this feature is
> relatively accessible, but requires further development effort.
PmForms is probably 90% where we need to be. There's not too much missing.

> PmWiki is most certainly a laggard by now. The current version has been
> in beta for far too long
That does not make PmWiki a laggard -- it's features are fairly
competitive. Development however is certainly lagging. Perhaps this is
simply semantics.

> In any case, surely as a product matures, if it is to become established
> in the long term, it requires an active community of developers to
> sustain it (for the core!).
Agreed.

[1] http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2005-December/020912.html

  ~ ~ Dave