[pmwiki-users] Another stab at ratings on PmCalendar page

Peter & Melodye Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Sat Feb 28 06:47:48 CST 2009

> I forgot to mention that a while ago we discussed this format :
> * (+) Excellent, I use it. [[~Petko]] (datestamp)
> * (-) Didn't work for me, PHP 7 required. [[~Peter Bowers]] (datestamp)
>
> That is : asterisk, (special markup keyword), optional comment, signature.
>
> There were many messages about the keywords, should they be (+) and (-),
(+1),
> (support), (endorse), (friend), (user), and more. With (+) and (-) all
> nuances of the "friend" and "endorse" words are sipmlified, but one can
> explain his friendship, support or endorsement in the optional comment.
>
> If we happen to agree on a simple format, then a {Recipe-Users$Votes} page
> variable can be done to count all "* (+)" and all "* (-)" in the page and
> contain something like "(+12, -3)" :
>
>   Discussion: [[Recipe-Talk]], [[Recipe-Users]] (+12, -3)

Immediately multiple other possibilities suggest themselves to me and
probably many others to you as well:

* What if we allowed ++ and -- as well as + and -
* What if we allowed +2
* Wouldn't it be better to put the link & numeric "rating" on its own line
in the recipe rather than with the discussion...

HOWEVER, if we all chime in with our suggestions I'm afraid we will arrive
back at square one and never arrive at a consensus.  This solution (above)
meets the functional requirement in my mind.  Any possible extension could
be discussed *after* we've agreed on this as a basic standard (i.e., allow
++ -- maybe it's a good idea, maybe it's a bad idea, but whether or not we
allow that has no bearing on the basic (+) and (-) functionality that's been
suggested.)

Unless someone has strong objections (i.e., not just a roughly equivalent
alternative that you happen to like better), can I recommend getting some
quick positive feedback and establishing a standard?  I'm not trying to
quash discussion and the tremendous benefit that comes from "group-think"
but I think this issue has been held back for way too long by the main
disadvantage of "group-think"...

-Peter