[pmwiki-users] New image/gallery recipe : Maxi, picture viewer with inline zoom

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Feb 20 09:49:06 CST 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 12:15:34 malexism at free.fr wrote:
> jdd a écrit :
> > really impressive!
>
> yes!
>
> some imho : scrolling should be like pdf reader or Google maps, with
> clic & drag. Will be possible zooming in/out with the mouse (the roll on
> the mouse) ?
> This tool is very reactive, very quick, not like Lightbox whitch come
> very slow on the screen, and go out very very slow too !
>
> bravo !

Thanks for your comments. Two weeks ago, I also wished something like Google
Maps, drag the picture and zoom by scrolling with the mouse. But I couldn't
find a freely available script or even documentation about how to write one.
Actually, I found something that was >500 kB compressed and the demo didn't
even work for me. :-)

The current Maxi script is a simple program, standards-compliant and mostly
cross-browser (for standards-compliant browsers). And it should fold back
nicely for other browsers too, as they will at least show the small picture
and, if the authors want to, a link to the large one.

Now I also believe that the current implementation (just mouse-over, no grag
or scroll) is easier for a visitor to notice the feature and to use it.
Otherwise you will need to add some instructions for the visitor (click here,
scroll, drag this...). And now it really works like a magnifying glass would
work, which is cool.

So I am mostly happy about this.

I am not excluding the possibility to add a drag-and-scroll interface, but it
is not on my top priority list now.

Thanks,
Petko