[pmwiki-users] Rating cookbooks: a concrete suggestion

Eemeli Aro eemeli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 17:46:20 CST 2009

2009/2/20 DaveG <pmwiki at solidgone.com>:
> The summary of the rating should definitely be on the cookbook page. I think
> the actual ratings should go somewhere else though (like the Talk page).

To clarify my own position, I'm not actually advocating for rating
recipes, but for listing the users of a recipe. Admittedly the message
topic might be a bit misleading, as I copied it from the earlier
discussion.

As for the exact location of where recipe users ought to be listed, I
won't insist on having them on the recipe page itself, as long as
they're *somewhere*. For now, it's sometimes a little frustrating to
develop cookbook recipes as feedback and any indication of recipe
usage is so hard to come by. Myself, I've published 15 recipes so far
and I have absolutely no idea how many sites are using my code.

The idea behind listing users is to provide a maximally easy way to
get *any* feedback on recipe usage. Any kind of rating incurs a much
greater conceptual load on the brain; essentially you have to ask
yourself how good this recipe is and if it's worth your support. In
other words, rating a recipe requires you to make a decision whereas
declaring that you use a recipe does not.

eemeli