[pmwiki-users] Re-thinking Intro to markup pages

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 08:07:07 CST 2009

"Patrick R. Michaud" wrote:

>As a general comment to this thread, I'm in general agreement with
>using the Creole approach as a general guideline for our own
>markup documentation.
>
>Indeed, I expect that future core markup changes will occur with
>an eye towards convergence with Creole, at least for the basics.
>This is also why Creole went from being a recipe to part of the core.
>So, using Creole's documentation structure as a model for our own
>seems like a good approach to me.

what do you mean in detail:

The finer granularity of the pages?

The limitation to a specific subset?

Regarding the granularity, I'm not really sure:
http://www.wikicreole.org/wiki/AllMarkup contains examples of most
basic elements and links to 9 subpages showing the details (tables and
escape are missing in AllMarkup).

These subpages contain developer information as HTML output and design
reasoning. After stripping this information (unimportant for the
_user_), many of the subpages contain hardly more information than
AllMarkup already has, some are really trivial (e.g. HorizontalLine).

Therefore I vote for one page containing all the information about
basic markup and editing.

Regarding the limitation to a smaller subset, I fully agree. The
selection in PmWiki/BasicEditing does not reflect the most important
("basic") markup a beginner will need. But in general,
PmWiki/BasicEditing is not bad as an introduction.

Likely a good (efficient) start will be to sort and update the
contents of BasicEditing and TextFormattingRules.

Oliver