[pmwiki-users] Re-thinking Intro to markup pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 10 10:40:31 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:40:00AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 February 2009 4:20 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >Indeed, I expect that future core markup changes will occur with
> >an eye towards convergence with Creole, at least for the basics.
> >This is also why Creole went from being a recipe to part of the core.
> >So, using Creole's documentation structure as a model for our own
> >seems like a good approach to me.
> >
> Given that this will have a significant impact on many existing
> pages in the PmWiki group, do you have any advice or preference
> on how to structure the approach? For example:
>
> - edit the pages directly and re-factor them
> - create a separate group (e.g. PmWikiCreole)
> - use a page prefix or suffix (e.g. PmWiki.BasicEditing-Creole)
> - add a special category to such pages (e.g. [[!creole]])

Any of these are fine with me; I tend to lean towards
"edit the pages directly and re-factor them" but I can see
reasons to prefer the others as well.

Perhaps building a new clean documentation set in a separate
(and temporary) PmWikiCreole group is preferable for now,
and then when we like what we have there we could move it
all en-masse back to the PmWiki group.

But we should also consider that some sites may be linking
to existing documentation pages... which perhaps argues for
doing things "in place" so that existing targets continue to
have something reasonable (even if it's just a redirect to
a new refactored version of the page).

As with the i18n pages, I think my feeling on this is that
whoever ends up doing the work gets the greatest say in how
the work should be structured.  :-)