[pmwiki-users] Fwd: I cannot get the sitewide password to work for pmwiki

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Mon Feb 9 18:42:34 CST 2009

On 2009-02-09 7:28 PM, akimbomidget wrote:
> From: *akimbomidget* <akimbomidget at gmail.com
> <mailto:akimbomidget at gmail.com>>
> Date: Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:06 AM
> Subject: I cannot get the sitewide password to work for pmwiki
> To: pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com <mailto:pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com>
>

> I've been trying  for hours to get a simple task to work in my site
> http://reactiveframes.com/wiki/
>
> Essentially i've been trying to get pmwiki to prevent anyone without the
> password from editing it.
>
> Despite putting this
>
> $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('A example password');
>
> into config.php
>
> it still doesn't ask me for a password to edit...

...snip...

You need to set a default edit password as in:

$DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('A example password');

Or if you only want the admin to be able to edit, then set:

$DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('A example password');
$DefaultPasswords['edit'] = '*';

This does not set the edit password to '*', rather it sets the crypted
value of the password to '*', but crypt will never return a one
character value. So the effect is that no-one can edit, except for the
admin.

--
Neil Herber