[pmwiki-users] Re-thinking Intro to markup pages

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Feb 9 15:01:53 CST 2009

On Monday, 9 February 2009 12:19 PM, Tegan Dowling <tmdowling at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:04 PM,  <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> I would be very happy to see the PmWiki documentation factored
>> to use the Creole set as an introduction, with branches to more
>> advanced markup features. This does not require PmWiki to adopt
>> the Creole standard, just use the Creole thinking. I think I would
>> also refactor EditQuickReference to present only the Creole markup
>> set, with links to other markup features. Or at least separate the
>> Creole set from anything else that may be on the quick reference
>> page.
>>
>> JR
>
>...  What's more, I'm hoping that we'll have a
>wysiwyg interface for the creole set, some day.

While we are waiting for this day to arrive, we could give due
consideration to reviewing the current GUIButtons behaviour and:

- omitting from the default set any that are not part of the
  Creole set

- providing a GUICreole option that displays buttons for all
  (or most) of the Creole set

- providing a separator between Creole and non-Creole buttons

Then the core documentation and the user interface would be
mutually consistent. Indeed, one could then choose (if one
wished) to offer either a set of Creole GUI buttons, or an
EditQuickReference, but not both.

This would also make it much easier to switch between PmWIki
and Creole markup rules.

JR

--
John Rankin