[pmwiki-users] [pmwiki-devel] Admin interface design ideas

Henrik Bechmann henrik at bechmann.ca
Wed Feb 4 14:48:43 CST 2009

Thanks Peter, very helpful.

I'll consult again as I review your ideas.

I'm inclined towards having a clear text copy in a (non wiki) file for
easy direct editing, as well as on a wiki page. (See response to patrick
in which I propose an xml format). So the layers would be
WikiConfigPage->xml file->PmWiki global variables, with recipe code to
manage (and control) the transitions.

I'll also review presentation issues more and get back.

- Henrik

Peter Bowers wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Henrik Bechmann <henrik at bechmann.ca
> <mailto:henrik at bechmann.ca>> wrote:
>
>     I want to surface some (more) admin settings to wiki pages through a
>     recipe, and wanted to kick some ideas around.
>
>     Initially, I want to allow admins of my websites to set skins
>     through an
>     admin interface, but I anticipate other uses as well (enabling certain
>     recipes for example). So I'm searching for a fairly generic way of
>     approaching this, that could easily be extended.
>
>     On the SiteAdmin.Config wiki page the entry would (in the short run)
>     look like this:
>
>     EnableRelativePageVars:1
>
>     Anyone have any thoughts on any of this?
>

> You may want to look at Cookbook/PageConfig for a start.
> (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PageConfig)
>
> I think security is the single biggest issue you have to deal with.
> With PageConfig I've tried to err on the side of giving the "real
> administrator" absolute control over what the "page administrators"
> can and can't do.  I.e., in config.php you can specify which variables
> can/cannot be set and even specify what valid values are allowed or
> not; you can specify a list of allowable scripts to include or
> exclude, etc.  I've also made sure that pmwiki conditionals are
> available so that per-page, per-group, per-author, etc configuration
> can be easily achieved.
>
> The syntax for the directives on the page is not very user-friendly
> and needs to be changed - I just haven't put enough thought into what
> would be good for it...  But if it looks like the functionality you
> are looking for is there and you have an idea on the directive syntax
> I'd be happy to look into implementing it.
>
> Do note that putting this additional configuration alternative into
> the mix can really multiply the difficulty of tracking down
> configuration-related problems.
>
> -Peter

Henrik Bechmann
bechmann.ca