[pmwiki-users] Installation Problem

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Thu Dec 24 03:26:14 CST 2009

2009/12/24 Wade Hudson <wade at wadehudson.net>:
> But when I edit that page, I'm not prompted for a password, and I expected to have to use the default 'admin.'

You have set the 'admin' password, not the 'edit' password.  A typical
wiki allows anyone to edit and so that's how pmwiki is packaged (with
the exception of certain administrative pages).  If you want to limit
editing on certain pages or groups or on all pages then you need to
explicitly do that.

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Passwords        (for certain
pages or groups)
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PasswordsAdmin  (for your entire site)

> When I edited the title page line to read "$WikiTitle = 'Test';" and uploaded it, it made no difference
> And when I edited the logo line to read "# $PageLogoUrl = "";" I expected the PMWiki logo to disappear, but it did not.

There are several possibilities to consider...
(1) Are you sure your config.php with these changes made it onto the
server in the correct public_html/local directory?  Try downloading it
from that location and looking at the copy you downloaded to
double-check.
(2) Check your url in your browser very carefully to make sure you are
looking at the same copy of pmwiki that you expected (it's easy to get
different copies in different folders/directories and then point at
the wrong one).
(3) Your browser could be caching.  Try updating with ctrl-f5 (this is
for firefox) to see if that solves the problem.
(4) Specifically for the logo problem you will need to delete the "#"
at the beginning of the line.  Any line that begins with "#" is
ignored as a comment -- delete the # and it will take effect.

-Peter