[pmwiki-users] comment spam and blogs

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Thu Apr 30 09:53:30 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Tegan Dowling <tmdowling at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Peter Bowers <pbowers at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Simon <nzskiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I use a publicly accessible password,
>>> I don't even have to go as far as a captcha,
>>> it has stopped 100% of the spam,
>>
>> I use this as well and can concur that it stopped 100% of spammers.
>>
>> You can see http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/OpenPass to see how it
>> is implemented.
>>
>> -Peter
>
> Peter:  That looks like a cool recipe! Would it be easy to create a
> version that would only work for specified wikigroup(s)?  On many of
> my sites I have a site-wide, user password that I would NOT want
> displayed in the manner of this recipe, but I could want a public
> password on certain publicly-editable pages.
>
> That is, as I read it, your recipe defaults to displaying a password,
> except when over-ridden.  I'd like the opposite case, with defaults to
> NOT displaying the password, except when desired.

I believe that in your Site.AuthForm (or skin-specific page) you could
just change from

(:if equal {$editpass} "site" :)%red%(If you don't know a password for
this page, try entering "myopenpass"
(without the quotes).%%  This is an '''open''' password to prevent
spamming by robots but still allow
you [as a human who can read the page and follow instructions] to make
changes.)(:ifend:)

(:if equal {$editpass} "group" :)...

This would say "if the edit password comes from a GROUP-wide setting
then include the prompt."

Do note that if you have set all of your groups to password XYZ and
have the prompt be for XYZ but one group has password
"my-extra-secret-password" then people will still by prompted with XYZ
but it won't work.  That might be inconvenient...

I suppose I could add another condition so you could say (:if
edit_passwd "XYZ":), but I'm a little hesitant on that.  It seems like
I'm exposing more than should be exposed...  (Although practically
speaking that's what the login page does...)

-Peter