[pmwiki-users] alternative translation

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Thu Apr 23 16:12:53 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:56 AM, noskule <noskule at gmx.net> wrote:
> hi all
> We are thinking of translating our pmwiki into other languages. To do
> this I would like to write the translations into a table instead of
> several translation files.

> ||english ||deutsch ||francaise ||
> ||car        ||Auto ||automobile ||
>
> the table my be a spreedsheed file, or a wikipage or mybe a database
> table. Did somebody do something in this diretion?

It seems to me that it would be easier and perhaps more consistent to
use your table/database/etc to *generate* the existing format rather
than rewriting xlpage()...

Personally I would use Cookbook/Text2Tbl to have a more easily
readable *and* more easily parsable format.  Something like this in
source would display on the page as a nicely formatted table:

(:flextable sep=^:)
car^Auto^automobile
fooEN^fooDE^fooFR
(:flextableend:)

(See http://pmwiki.qdk.org/pmwiki.php/Test/MainXLPage for an example)

Then a wikish script could generate the various translation files at
the touch of a button... (See
http://pmwiki.qdk.org/pmwiki.php/Test/GenXLPage for an example)

Then you would just need to push that button and regenerate your
XLPage pages any time you made a change to your table.

-Peter