[pmwiki-users] Howto go from PmWiki Demo Main.HomePage to BlogIt in 30 min?

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Tue Apr 7 17:34:41 CDT 2009

Tim wrote:
> This may be a part of my problem. What I am doing is adding things to this
> default page and its SideBar (ie  HomePage, WikiSandBox, PmWiki, Initial Setup
> Tasks ...). I figured it works, I will just add stuff to it and when my stuff
> works I will just delete what I don't want. Is there a better approach for
> a rookie such as myself to take?
Editing the pages is fine -- it's your wiki :)

> NOTE: I didn't see these after adding your "Main Blog Summary Page" directives
> to the existing Main.HomePage, so is it optional or should I not have started
> with Main.HomePage?
You need to add this to a page (Main.HomePage is fine):
(:notitle:)
(:includesection "#blog-summary-pagelist blogid=blog1
status={$bi_StatusType_PUBLISH}":)

After your first email I tried to make the install instructions clearer
-- you might want to just check that you followed all the steps.

> [TIM]
> Now when I click the SideBar New Entry I go to:
> http://localhost/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.BlogIt-NewEntry
> But all I see is:
> /Site
> BlogIt-NewEntry
>
> (:pmform blogit-entry:)
Okay -- this suggests that pmforms is not installed correctly. Make sure
you have it in the right directory -- it should go into your /cookbook
directory.

>>> so I downloaded GlossyHue and
>>> installed it, and changed the skin in config.php. That turned the Demo
>>> Main.HomePage into something not very readable.
> [TIM]
> When I say that by changing the skin to glossyhue its not very readable, I
> don't mean I can't read the text. I mean it takes the page(default
> Main.HomePage) and puts everything into a single column.
 > [TIM]
 > http://localhost/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage,
 > this is the HomePage I am referring to.
GlossyHue is basically a two column theme -- maybe you just don't like
it ;) Here's what I get with the GlossyHue skin:
http://wiki.solidgone.org/Test/MainHome -- do you see something different?

> When looking at the zip files for both PmForm and BlogIt I see the directory
> structures/layout are slightly different that is:
> PmForm Zip is
> /pmform
>  /cookbook
>    pmform.php
>  /wikilib.d
>    Site.PmFormTemplates
> whereas BlogIt is
>  /blogit
>    blogit.php
>    blogit_upgrade.php
>    /wikilib.d
>
> my machine is
> /var/www/html/pmwiki
>  /cookbook
>  /docs
>  /local
>  pmwiki.php
>  /pub
>  README.txt
>  /scripts
>  /wiki.d
>  /wikilib.d
>  /work.d
>
> So Does blogIt go  under /cookbook with a wikilib.d subdir?
Correct. You should have:
cookbook/
    pmforms.php
    blogit/
       wikilib.d/
          (some files)
       blogit.php
          (plus some other files)

> If so where does the PmForm unzip to? Your directions indicate it should
> go under my ../cookbook
> .../pmwiki
>      /cookbook
>        /pmform
>          /cookbook
>            pmform.php
>          /wikilib.d
>            Site.PmFormTemplates
> That does not seem right to me, if it is its not consistent with your BlogIt
> layout.
That is not correct. See above. pmforms.php just goes straight into the
cookbook directory -- no subdirectory. You can put the
Site.PmFormTemplates straight into pmwiki/wikilib.d -- but this file is
not needed by BlogIt. I can see why it's unclear where to locate PmForms
-- I'll update the documentation to make this more clear.