[pmwiki-users] Spammer Links in History

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Sep 8 14:05:19 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 12:08:29PM -0600, Allyen Wilson wrote:
> Does the spammer who is defiling my sandbox get what he wants, even
> though I delete his links right away, because his spam is still in my
> history page? I assume the purpose behind the spam is to get google
> et.al. to think these links are viable and popular in the internet
> ether and get better rankings. So does google see my wiki history and
> still give these spammers credit for being on my site?

Short answer: No.

In the default PmWiki configuration, Google never sees the history.
Whenever Googlebot attempts to access a page with ?action=diff,
it gets back a "403 Forbidden" response, so it never sees the
history.  (The same is true for ?action=edit, ?action=diag, etc.)

This is also why history pages from PmWiki sites don't appear in
Google's search results.