[pmwiki-users] Presence online

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Wed Sep 3 04:19:56 CDT 2008

> I have noticed that at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Present
> there is a very nice show of who is present on the website by
> author name and it displays what they are doing.  Is this a recipe?
> How would I incorporate this on my website?

It came out some years ago, as I asked Patrick about a better
replacement of an existing (problematic) recipe.
Patrick most skillfully managed to have such a test page working in
(sort of) seconds, while I personally couldn't even imagine how to do
it in my whole life.
It was nice, also because there was a message tied to it, saying that
"somebody else is probably editing this very page" in case of
concurrent edits, which is quite practical.

But when I asked Patrick how to have this recipe working, I had no results.
I also contacted him off-list, I guessed he did not (yet) wanted, for
some reason, openly release the recipe.
Yet I had no answer (yes or no) at all.
Patrick is the man behind the whole pmwiki-thing; he has many other
involvements in other areas, and I can imagine his time is more than
limited.
So, I didn't dare to breathe one more word about it.
Time passed.
Then the last year came, sadly with utmost problems for him.
That definitely "sealed my lips".

Now, happy to hear such news from him about his wife, I confess that
I'm curious to know if Presence recipe, that apparently was easy for
him to put together, could be enabled in some form or another.

Luigi