[pmwiki-users] table and lists

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 22 14:57:09 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 05:19:27PM -0700, Maria McKinley wrote:
> Hello there
>
> I often find myself writing out various lists, of usually short
> entries. For a while it makes sense to just have the lists on the left
> side, but eventually I end up with a web page that is only using the
> left side of the window. I would like to be able to make a table of
> the lists. Is there a way to do this easily? Something like this would
> be awesome:
>
> (:table thingy:)
> (:row:)(:left:) !Things to do:
> *eat lunch
> *do work
> *go to store
> (:right:) !Things to buy:
> *donuts
> *fruit
> *toothpaste
> (:row:)(left:) !Birthdays:
> *June 17 Martha
> *Oct 24 John
> (:end table thingy:)
>
> or some such thing. In other ways a way to leave the lists so they are
> still easily readable while editing. Did I miss something in the
> documentation or is something like this just not implemented?

Tables are probably what you want here:

    (:table:)
    (:cellnr:)
    !Things to do:
    *eat lunch
    *do work
    *go to store
    (:cell:)
    !Things to buy:
    *donuts
    *fruit
    *toothpaste
    (:cellnr:)
    !Birthdays:
    *June 17 Martha
    *Oct 24 John
    (:tableend:)

As Kathryn noted, this is described in
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/TableDirectives -- indeed, this exactly
the sort of thing that table directives were intended to do.
The (:cell:) directive starts a new column on the current row;
the (:cellnr:) directive starts a new column in a new row.