[pmwiki-users] How do I create RSS feeds for changes to individual pages?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue May 27 14:34:02 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 05:15:06PM +0200, Thomas Tempelmann wrote:
> On 27.05.2008 17:09 Uhr, "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 03:32:57PM +0200, Thomas Tempelmann wrote:
> >> Whenever I create a new page on my pmwiki, I like to offer a RSS link to
> >> that readers can quickly learn of updates to the particular page.
> >
> > We've generally blocked on this particular feature because there's
> > not a clear statement of what such a feed should look like.
> >
> > In particular, what should the description of each update contain?
> > If it's to be a summary of changes in the versions -- how can we
> > display that concisely in text?
>
> All I care for is that the user gets a notification _that_ the page has
> changed since his last check. Plus, the changes as a diff-like display.

"Changes as a diff-like display" has traditionally been the difficult
part, especially as plain text.

> I'm a bit surprised that no one has yet implemented such a feature. I write
> tech articles, not a blog. For a blog, readers are generally interested in
> updates to the entire blog because they like the author. In my case, readers
> are interested in a particular tech issue and like to know if that updates
> with new infos.
>
> So, does this mean I'm not getting an automatic trail for this easily?

You can use categories or wikigroups as an "automatic trail" -- ?action=rss
is able to build RSS feeds from a variety of criteria besides trails.
For example, to get an RSS feed from all of the pages in the "XYZ"
category:

  .../pmwiki.php?action=rss&link=Category.XYZ&order=-time

For example, here's an RSS feed of all of the pages in the "Skins"
category on pmwiki.org, sorted by last update:

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki?action=rss&link=Category.Skins&order=-time