[pmwiki-users] Emergency site move advice needed

Marcus prima at wordit.com
Fri May 9 19:36:24 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:10 PM, David Spitzley <dspitzle at wash.k12.mi.us> wrote:

I just went through a search myself. There are lots of cheap plans for
shared hosting, but I would consider a VPS now the prices are
dropping. Especially as a developer it offers more flexibility and
security.

> 5)  Support for ASP (not ASP.Net);  obviously, this requires a Windows server

Linux servers run ASP too AFAIK because I played with ASP about 9
years ago on one when my ISP sent me a script for something. They only
ran Linux, and later BSD. Apache has an ASP module, I think. Linux
offers better security.

I don't know whether it supports all ASP, you'll need to research that.

e.g.

http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html

> 7)  The ability to install apps of my choice

You might want to look into a VPS in that case. The company I just
moved to has servers in the US and UK. I've only been with them 2
months on shared hosting, but I plan to move to a VPS with them.

I have found a VPS as low as $6 (in Europe) if you manage it entirely
yourself. I am just testing one for $10 with 2.5GB and a control
panel, it's unmanaged though (i.e. must monitor and reboot yourself
for that price). Gives you root access so you can install stuff
yourself. You can reboot it yourself through HyperVM.

I am going to get a managed VPS plan and pay the extra for them to
take care of the server being accessible, so I don't have to monitor
it and reboot myself. Then a low cost one I manage myself as backup
and for testing. I don't want to be dependent on one hoster anymore.

I didn't want to advertise names here, but I can email links by private mail.

Marcus