[pmwiki-users] Problems with WikiFarms in PmWiki-2.1.27 and newer

Dr. Jonathan Sprinkle sprinkle at ece.arizona.edu
Sat Mar 1 10:28:45 CST 2008

Hi,

I've been a faithful PmWiki user now for ~2 years. I have previously,
successfully, used wiki farms on a home machine for family websites. When I
used the same version I am using at home (2.1.27) for some wikis at work, I
cannot get Farms to work with local configuration.

This failure is actually extremely frustrating, so I apologize in advance if
I sound like I'm ranting. :) In fact, I suspect I'm doing something silly,
but after ~10 hours of hacking, I've joined the mailing list.

Setup:

Wiki home running at

http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~sprinkjm/wiki/
Which is a symlink pointing to
http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~sprinkjm/pmwiki/

I have enabled .htaccess rewriting to turn this into

http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~sprinkjm/

With the following rule:

~/public_html/.htaccess
# Grabbed from http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/CleanUrls#URL_rewriting
# Use mod_rewrite to enable "Clean URLs" for a PmWiki installation.
RewriteEngine On
# Define the rewrite base.
RewriteBase /~sprinkjm
# Send requests without parameters to pmwiki.php.
RewriteRule ^$           wiki/pmwiki.php  [L]
# Send requests for index.php to pmwiki.php.
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ wiki/pmwiki.php  [L]
# Send requests to pmwiki.php, appending the query string part.
RewriteRule ^([A-Z0-9\xa0-\xff].*)$ wiki/pmwiki.php?n=$1  [QSA,L]

php_value upload_max_filesize "20M"

---

It is important to know that I have NO PROBLEMS :) with my home wiki. It is
creating new farm wikis that gives me problems. I recently upgraded my
pmwiki install to 2.2.0-beta65 in case this fixed it.

My HomeWiki/local/farmconfig.php file reads as:
 ----
<?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();
      $FarmPubDirUrl = 'http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~sprinkjm/pmwiki/pub';

# default skin of monobook
$Skin = "monobook";

# Default logo to use...
$PageLogoUrl = "$FarmPubDirUrl/skins/vertical_A_130_no_tag.gif";

# a bunch of recipes to use...
include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/bibtexref3.php");
include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/sourceblock.php");
include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/oct-publishfaq.php");
include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/pagetoc2.php");

 ----

I have created some test farms as described below. Perhaps someone can tell
me the very subtle problem I have introduced :(

Farm Wiki 1:
------------------

http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~sprinkjm/research/test1
This farm has a local/config.php (text is below)

~/public_html/research/test1/local/config.php
 ---
<?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();
$WikiTitle = "test1 Wiki";
$ScriptUrl = 'http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~sprinkjm/research/test1';

# Our default logo is the Arizona "A"
$PageLogoUrl = "$FarmPubDirUrl/skins/vertical_A_130_no_tag.gif";

# if you'd like to define a default password, do it here by
# uncommenting the line (i.e., remove the '#'):
$DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('test123');
$DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('test123');

$EnableUpload = 1;
$DefaultPasswords['upload'] = crypt('test123');

putenv("TZ=America/Phoenix");
$TimeFmt = '%B %d, %Y, at %I:%M %p AST (Arizona Standard Time)';

 ---
This wiki reverts to my WikiHome skin, AND LINKS (note that hovering over
edit asks you to edit my main wiki's HomePage).

Farm Wiki 2:
------------------
http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~sprinkjm/research/test2
This farm has no local/ directory

Note that this wiki correctly behaves like a farm, including adopting the
default farm skin, logo, and correct editing. However, also note that there
is no way for me to control editing on this farm. :(

Any (and all) advice appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

--
 Jonathan Sprinkle, Ph.D.
 Assistant Professor