[pmwiki-users] Highlighting Pagelist Results [was:Recipe Update: Fox]

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 12:55:38 CST 2008

Tuesday, January 29, 2008, 2:29:29 PM, The Editor wrote:

> I thought PmWiki also indexed
> things--but maybe not. If it is indexed though, I suspect PmWiki would
> be faster on a large site, as the wiki would only need to open the
> pages with matches. In fact, on a large site, using the extract method
> would likely be untenable. Imagine having to open 1000 pages to find
> 10 matches!

I don't really know about indexing. I thought Pmwiki indexes the page
names and perhaps a couple other attributes. But how can you index all
page content? To search for some term the pages need to be opened.

In my tests here extract.php managed to go through over 1300 pages and
pull over 2000 results in just 25 secondes. a bit longer, and the 30
sec max default php process time would have hit.

Searches on the ca 100 pages of the PmWiki group take a few secs only.

  ~Hans