[pmwiki-users] Line chars converted

sti at pooq.com sti at pooq.com
Tue Jan 15 08:00:32 CST 2008

Dave Jackson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm documenting a process and I'd like to include the following mark-up:
>
> --------------------------------
> The folder structure is as follows
>
>  [=
> D:.
> ├───Apps
> │   ├───Extract
> │   └───Presentation
> ├───Data
> │   ├───App_Data
> │   ├───Delta_Data
> │   ├───External_Data
> │   └───Raw_Data
> ├───LogArchive
> │   ├───2007
> │   │   └───12
> │   │       ├───01
> │   │       ├───02
> <snip>
> │   └───2008
> │       └───01
> │           ├───01
> <snip>
> │           └───14
> └───OverNightScripts
>
>  =]
> --------------------------------
>
> When I save the page it transposes the chars into
>
> --------------------------------
> D:.
> „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸApps
> „    „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸExtract
> „    „¤„Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸPresentation
> „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸData
> „    „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸApp_Data
> „    „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸDelta_Data
> „    „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸExternal_Data
> „    „¤„Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸRaw_Data
> „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸLogArchive
> „    „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ2007
> „    „    „¤„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ12
> „    „        „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ01
> „    „        „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ02
> <snip>
> „    „¤„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ2008
> „        „¤„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ01
> „            „¥„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ01
> <snip>
> „            „¤„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ14
> „¤„Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸOverNightScripts
> --------------------------------
>
> (I hope these come out OK).
>
> I'm running pmwiki-2.1.5
>
> I have tried this in the sandbox on pmwiki.org and I get the same effect.  Any ideas?
>
> Dave Jackson

These characters are clearly not in your character set, which is causing
your problems. You can either change to a character set which has them
(which pretty-much would have to be UTF-8), or you can use the HTML
entity encodings for these symbols, so that your browser knows exactly
which characters you are trying to use, regardless of character set.

I have a page on my personal PmWiki where I explain which codes to use
for what. You can check it out here:

http://sti.pooq.com/Tech/UnicodeLineDrawing

This will work in any character set, but has the drawback of being much
more fussy to work with than just the raw characters.